King Edward VII School was founded in 1905 when Wesley College and Sheffield Royal Grammar School merged, taking over and altering the college's early nineteenth century buildings, now known as Upper School. Fees were abolished in 1945 and the school continued as a boys grammar for many years. In 1969 Crosspool Secondary School amalgamated with King Edward VII School, providing the Lower School building. KES is a large mixed comprehensive, taking students from Y7 (age approx. 11) to Y13 A-levels and/or GNVQs (age approx 18).